War Memorial Park for 100th anniversary of Gallipoli 7 Aug 2012
- Deed of Settlement signed with Maungaharuru-Tangitu Hapu News
- FAST5 Netball World Series Tickets on sale and be in to WIN Sport
- Kerikeri Student’s Artwork Wins Defence Competition Kiwi Success
- Family Violence coordination gets support News
- Collins announces Language Line expansion News
- Govt releases PwC report on Pay Period 4 News
- Fulbright Scholar Awards News
- Causeway Upgrade Project begins News
- Minister welcomes Rotorua education initiative News
- Sir Don Mckinnon Recognised For 35 Years of Service News
Rt Hon John Key
7 August 2012 Media Statement
War Memorial Park for 100th anniversary of Gallipoli
A National War Memorial Park in central Wellington will be the Government’s key project to commemorate the Centenary of the First World War and the centrepiece of Anzac Day commemorations in 2015.
Prime Minister John Key announced the project at the National War Memorial today, along with Transport Minister Gerry Brownlee, Arts, Culture and Heritage Minister Chris Finlayson, Veterans’ Affairs Minister Nathan Guy and Wellington Mayor, Celia Wade-Brown.
“The National War Memorial Park will be a significant legacy to commemorate the centenary of Anzac Day,” says Mr Key.
“This will be an enduring reminder to our children and their children, so they can better understand our past.”
The National War Memorial Park will combine the national memorial precinct, including the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior, the National War Memorial, the Hall of Memories and the National Carillion.
These are currently divided by State Highway 1 and will be brought together by undergrounding the state highway on Buckle Street between Tory and Taranaki Streets in Wellington.
“It will give this country the setting it deserves to commemorate more than 300,000 New Zealanders who have served their country.”
The Australian Government is also planning a memorial to Australian servicemen on this site and further memorials may be developed over time within the park space.
- In 1919 the Government approved the erection of the National War Memorial on this prominent site in Wellington. It had been used as a pa by Te Ati Awa and for military purposes by the Government since 1847.
- The original intention was to create a boulevard from the Memorial to the waterfront but the current precinct has become isolated over time and is now divided by State Highway 1.
- The Government has established a WW100 project office to lead and coordinate commemorations for the centenary of the First World War. A Panel was announced in July 2012 of trusted New Zealanders to guide and inform Government activities. A website has been established at www.w100.govt.nz
24 May 2013 News
New Zealand Government Hon Judith CollinsMinister for Ethnic Affairs 24 May 2013 Collins announces Language Line expansion Ethnic... more
24 May 2013 Business News
Article - BusinessDesk US retailers weighing on orange roughy prices with sustainability concerns, Sanford says May 24 ... more
24 May 2013 Entertainment
Base FM It marks the conclusion of NZ Music Month for 2013 and a new era for Base FM. The team were under much deliberation ... more
23 May 2013 Property
Article - BusinessDesk By Paul McBeth May 23 (BusinessDesk) - DNZ Property Fund, which reported a 14 percent decline in ... more
23 May 2013 Migration
New Zealand Government Hon Murray McCullyMinister of Foreign Affairs 23 May 2013 Media Statement Ambassador to... more
22 May 2013 Travel & Tourism
Queenstown is the world's 25th best destination, according to TripAdvisor. The global travel website released its latest survey... more
24 May 2013 Rugby
All Black lock Ali Williams has announced his retirement from international rugby. The 77-test veteran who made his debut in 2002 made... more
24 May 2013 Column
Gordon Campbell on failures of care for those with mental disabilities, and Murray McCully‘s latest gaffes by Gordon ... more
24 May 2013 People
New Zealand Defence Force A poster showing a soldier’s grave has won 11 year old Sam Sutcliffe, of Kerikeri, first prize... more
23 May 2013 Recruitment
New Zealand Government Hon Steven JoyceMinister for Economic Development Hon Simon BridgesMinister of Energy & Resources The... more