Government announces Job Streams 14 Jun 2012
- First NZ job fairs in November News
- UPDATE: Nuplex shares rise 3.9% on sale of ANZ units Business
- Annual Report shows ACC on right track News
- Gordon Campbell on Pharmac, Gough Whitlam and Sleater-Kinney News
- Turei: Address in reply speech, 21 October 2014 News
- Cavalier and NZ Wool Services to merge wool scouring units Business
- Hellaby expects to complete at least one acquisition in 2015 Business
- Fletcher Building ups earnings through trebling house builds Business
- Fletcher Building sees FY earnings $650M-$690M on 2H rebound Business
- Auckland City Toyota Partners With Bike the Bridge Living
Social Development Minister Paula Bennett has announced a simpler, more flexible business-focused package of employment programmes.
“We are doing more of what works, less of what doesn’t and making it easier for businesses to hire young people,” Mrs Bennett says.
“Rather than spread employment support thinly across all groups, this approach will target those most at risk of remaining on welfare long term.”
Job Streams, costing $62 million for the next year, consolidates Work and Income employment programmes such as Job Ops and Straight to Work into two streams:
• Flexi-Wage: flexible wage subsidies up to a maximum of $21,060 per year for those at highest risk of staying on benefit long-term. Employers can use some of the funding for training, mentoring or in-work support.
• Skills for Industry: short, job-focused training for specific employment opportunities. Subsidy of up to $7,000 per person.
“Job Streams represents a fundamental change in the way we invest in employment and training programmes,” Mrs Bennett says.
Funding will not be linked to a set number of places but rather allocated to the Job Streams package to be used flexibly across the two streams.
“This will allow Work and Income to tailor the package to employer’s requirements and an individual’s needs ensuring that the funding is used where it can make the most difference,” says Mrs Bennett.
Priority will be given to young people who are at high risk of long-term benefit dependence from 1 July this year, while sole parents subject to new work obligations from October will also qualify.
(New Zealand Government)
19 Oct 2014 Politics
New Zealand Labour Party Labour Names Review Team Labour’s New Zealand Council has appointed Bryan Gould as Convenor of its ... more
18 Oct 2014 News
The Nation Lisa Owen interviews RSA President BJ Clark and tech innovator Ian Taylor about changing the NZ flag Lisa Owen: Welcome... more
17 Oct 2014 Business News
Oct. 17 (BusinessDesk) - New Zealand needs to lift its retirement age and take advantage of an adaptable workforce before it gets... more
20 Oct 2014 ANZAC
On Thursday 16 October, the NZ-UK Link Foundation held their Inaugural Annual Lecture at the University of London’s Senate... more
16 Oct 2014 Food & Wine
New Zealand’s organic wine industry has scored a major export victory with the announcement that the European Commission... more
15 Oct 2014 Property
The Resource Management Act needs to explicitly recognise the importance of New Zealanders’ access to more affordable housing... more
30 Sep 2014 Migration
There are thousands of expats living in the UK who are aiming for permanent residency status and, eventually, a British passport. But... more
10 Oct 2014 Travel & Tourism
By Paul McBeth Oct. 10 (BusinessDesk) - New Zealand guest nights were largely flat in August from a month earlier as a gain... more
19 Oct 2014 Sport
New Master Woolhandler Joel Henare continued an unbeaten start to the new shearing sports season with a triumphant homecoming in ... more
16 Oct 2014 Opinion
Gordon Campbell on New Zealand getting involved (again) in other peoples wars Apparently, the Key government is still... more
15 Oct 2014 Opinion
The politicisation of (a) the public service and (b) the operations of the Official Information Act have been highlighted by the ... more
17 Oct 2014 Appointments
Institute Of Directors Local businessman Brian Corban was made a Distinguished Fellow of the Institute of Directors yesterday, in a... more
13 Oct 2014 Appointments
Article - BusinessDesk Kiwi Income Property reshuffles executive positions By Suze Metherell Oct. 13 (BusinessDesk) - Kiwi... more
9 Oct 2014 Recruitment
Te Runanga o Ngati Awa is widening its scope in the hunt for directors for the Whakatane based iwi authority’s commercial arm... more