An Important Stand For Free Expression - London rally 17 Feb 2012
- Minister encouraged by progress on future of Wellington News
- Waiariki Bay of Plenty Polytechnic Council appointments News
- New Report Supports Change To Co-ed News
- Finance minister to travel to Australia News
- Supreme Court upholds Ministry position over leaky buildings News
- Bethunes signals capital raise will come with investment Business
- Todd to sell 20% stake in former gold mine land Business
- NZ wool prices gain at auction Business
- Consent stats confirm ongoing building boom News
- Two years of official crime stats now available News
One Law for All held a successful rally in defence of free expression on Saturday 11 February 2012 opposite the Houses of Parliament. Hundreds braved the cold weather to join the rally at Old Palace Yard.
The rally followed several incidents in London recently where freedom of expression was curtailed in favour of fear of causing offence. In one incident, a talk on sharia law by One Law for All’s Anne Marie Waters was cancelled following threats of violence. Rhys Morgan was told by his school to remove a picture of Jesus and Mo from his Facebook page – a picture he had used in solidarity with the University College London Atheist, Secularist and Humanist Society who had been asked by their student union to remove the same image. Both UCL and the London School of Economics have since passed draconian motions which will further restrict religious criticism or satire at their schools.
Speakers at the rally included A C Grayling, Nick Cohen, Caroline Cox, Gita Sahgal, Keith Porteous Wood, and Rhys Morgan.
The event was sponsored by the Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science UK and featured Richard Dawkins who told the crowd to ‘stop being so damn respectful’ and that without freedom of speech, society would be a ‘scientific, technological, moral dark age’.
Maryam Namazie of One Law for All closed the rally by remembering those, around the world, who are fighting for freedom of expression, often at cost of their lives.
You can listen to a podcast of the London rally here: http://poddelusion.co.uk/blog/2012/02/11/rally-to-defend-free-expression-11th-february-2012/ and see videos of the event here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL324F7E92CC808428&feature=view_all. See some photos from the rally here: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/11-february-2012-an-important-stand-for-free-expression/.
Actions to mark the occassion were also held in other cities, including Germany, Portugal and South Africa. Some highlights included a solidarity rally in Warsaw, Poland: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqRBW7zGflk&fb_source=message, a fundraising dinner for One Law for All in Melbourne, Australia and the start of a campaign by Women's Initiative for Citizenship and Universal Rights in France to denounce discrimination faced by women due to the application of unfair laws in France.
The Free Expression Day of Action was endorsed by hundreds of people and organisations: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/endorsements-for-11-february-day-of-action-for-free-expression/.
As a follow up to the day, One Law for All has initiated a campaign in defence of 23 year old writer, Hamza Kashgari, who faces execution in Saudi Arabia for tweeting about Mohammad, Islam's prophet. To support the campaign, click here: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/freedom-for-saudi-writer-hamza-kashgari/.
1. Also see a joint letter to Human Rights Watch on the importance of secularism: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/to-human-rights-watch-separation-of-religion-from-state-is-the-most-basic-guarantee-of-rights/.
2. To donate to the work of One Law for All, please either send a cheque made payable to One Law for All to BM Box 2387, London WC1N 3XX, UK or pay via Paypal: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/donate/. We need regular support and also for supporters to commit to giving at least £5-10 a month via direct debit. You can find out more about how to join the 100Club here: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/donate/.
3. If you shop online, please do so via the Easy Fundraising website: http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/register-supporter/?char=40474. It won’t cost you anything extra but can help raise much needed funds for One Law for All.
(One Law For All - Maryam Namazie)
25 Jul 2016 Environment
New Zealand Government Hon Steven Joyce Minister of Science and Innovation Hon Nathan Guy Minister for Primary Industries Hon Ma... more
25 Jul 2016 Business News
Article - BusinessDesk Monday 25 July 2016 05:13 PM PM censures Trade Minister for 'head of a pin' answers on China trade ... more
25 Jul 2016 Business News
New Zealand Government Hon Paul Goldsmith Minister of Commerce and Consumer Affairs 25 July 2016 Consultation for FMA... more
18 Jul 2016 Lifestyle
The Outlook for Someday Young New Zealanders Making Films For Good What does sustainability mean to you? Since 2007 The Outlook for... more
25 Jul 2016 Property
Article - BusinessDesk Monday 25 July 2016 House prices to peak next year on new supply, lower migration: Infometrics July 25... more
30 Mar 2016 Migration
British High Commissioner Jonathan Sinclair is defending changes to skilled migrant rules for Britain but suggests they won't affect... more
12 Jul 2016 Travel & Tourism
Article - BusinessDesk NZ guest nights fell in May, snapping 25 consecutive monthly gains July 12 (BusinessDesk) - New Zealand guest... more
25 Jul 2016 Rugby
The core of this year’s All Blacks Sevens squad headed by veterans DJ Forbes and Tim Mikkelson will anchor the side through the... more
25 Jul 2016 Sailing
Southern Spars today announced it has been appointed to build Emirates Team New Zealand’s boat for the 35th America’s... more
7 Jul 2016 Opinion
Column - Gordon Campbell Gordon Campbell on Tony Blair and the Chilcot Report | werewolf more
14 Jun 2016 Opinion
Column - Gordon Campbell Gordon Campbell on our paltry refugee response and a brazen US rewrite of the TPP First published at... more
13 Jul 2016 Appointments
New Zealand Government Hon Christopher FinlaysonAttorney-General 13 July 2016 New Supreme Court and Court of Appeal ... more
7 Jul 2016 Recruitment
Article - BusinessDesk Fletcher chases 100 ex-pat Brits as construction sector faces capacity constraints July 7 (BusinessDesk) -... more