An Important Stand For Free Expression - London rally 17 Feb 2012
- First Crown land parcels for development identified News
- Minister to attend annual OECD meeting News
- Marathon’s Elders Demanding Respect Sport
- Large North Island area closing to duck hunting Living
- Minister puts trust law reform on agenda News
- $79k to fund opportunities for young people News
- FIFA U-20 World Cup kicks off Saturday News
- Bribery and Corruption Undermine Sport Living
- Minister McCully to the Middle East and Cyprus News
- New era beckons for Coast to Coast Living
One Law for All held a successful rally in defence of free expression on Saturday 11 February 2012 opposite the Houses of Parliament. Hundreds braved the cold weather to join the rally at Old Palace Yard.
The rally followed several incidents in London recently where freedom of expression was curtailed in favour of fear of causing offence. In one incident, a talk on sharia law by One Law for All’s Anne Marie Waters was cancelled following threats of violence. Rhys Morgan was told by his school to remove a picture of Jesus and Mo from his Facebook page – a picture he had used in solidarity with the University College London Atheist, Secularist and Humanist Society who had been asked by their student union to remove the same image. Both UCL and the London School of Economics have since passed draconian motions which will further restrict religious criticism or satire at their schools.
Speakers at the rally included A C Grayling, Nick Cohen, Caroline Cox, Gita Sahgal, Keith Porteous Wood, and Rhys Morgan.
The event was sponsored by the Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science UK and featured Richard Dawkins who told the crowd to ‘stop being so damn respectful’ and that without freedom of speech, society would be a ‘scientific, technological, moral dark age’.
Maryam Namazie of One Law for All closed the rally by remembering those, around the world, who are fighting for freedom of expression, often at cost of their lives.
You can listen to a podcast of the London rally here: http://poddelusion.co.uk/blog/2012/02/11/rally-to-defend-free-expression-11th-february-2012/ and see videos of the event here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL324F7E92CC808428&feature=view_all. See some photos from the rally here: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/11-february-2012-an-important-stand-for-free-expression/.
Actions to mark the occassion were also held in other cities, including Germany, Portugal and South Africa. Some highlights included a solidarity rally in Warsaw, Poland: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqRBW7zGflk&fb_source=message, a fundraising dinner for One Law for All in Melbourne, Australia and the start of a campaign by Women's Initiative for Citizenship and Universal Rights in France to denounce discrimination faced by women due to the application of unfair laws in France.
The Free Expression Day of Action was endorsed by hundreds of people and organisations: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/endorsements-for-11-february-day-of-action-for-free-expression/.
As a follow up to the day, One Law for All has initiated a campaign in defence of 23 year old writer, Hamza Kashgari, who faces execution in Saudi Arabia for tweeting about Mohammad, Islam's prophet. To support the campaign, click here: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/freedom-for-saudi-writer-hamza-kashgari/.
1. Also see a joint letter to Human Rights Watch on the importance of secularism: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/to-human-rights-watch-separation-of-religion-from-state-is-the-most-basic-guarantee-of-rights/.
2. To donate to the work of One Law for All, please either send a cheque made payable to One Law for All to BM Box 2387, London WC1N 3XX, UK or pay via Paypal: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/donate/. We need regular support and also for supporters to commit to giving at least £5-10 a month via direct debit. You can find out more about how to join the 100Club here: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/donate/.
3. If you shop online, please do so via the Easy Fundraising website: http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/register-supporter/?char=40474. It won’t cost you anything extra but can help raise much needed funds for One Law for All.
(One Law For All - Maryam Namazie)
28 May 2015 News
Defence Minister Gerry Brownlee leaves today for Singapore to join his counterparts at the 14th annual Shangri-La... more
28 May 2015 Business News
Article - BusinessDesk Reserve Bank unlikely to cut OCR next month, line-ball on cut this year, Westpac says By Anna Lu May 28... more
28 May 2015 Business News
Fonterra cuts this season's milk price by 10c, forecasts $5.25/kgMS for 2015 May 28 (BusinessDesk) - Fonterra Cooperative... more
23 May 2015 Lifestyle
The pride and glory of winning The Ultimate Waterman is relived for Kiwi Daniel Kereopa in a documentary that went live online this... more
22 May 2015 Property
Building and Housing Minister Dr Nick Smith today released at the Certified Builders’ Association conference in Christchurch... more
20 May 2015 Property
Goodman Property lifts FY earnings 5.4% on revenue growth, cost clamp down May 20 (BusinessDesk) - Goodman Property Trust,... more
30 Apr 2015 Migration
The Immigration Amendment Bill (No 2) which cracks down on employers who exploit migrant workers passed its final reading in... more
27 May 2015 Travel & Tourism
UPDATE: Bob Jones ejected from Air NZ flight as passengers applaud (Corrects flight number to 421, adds passenger... more
28 May 2015 Netball
Following a disciplinary hearing staged yesterday afternoon by the Trans Tasman Netball League (TTNL), operators of the ANZ... more
28 May 2015 Opinion
Face it, it has been a very, very bad week for anyone who thinks that a) FIFA is a damn fine organisation run by guys who... more
26 May 2015 People
Youth Minister Nikki Kaye today announced the recipients of the 2015 Youth Awards. Winners will be presented with awards at a... more
26 May 2015 Press Releases
NZ employees rate work-life balance as top priority, while job seekers eye cash, survey shows May 26 (BusinessDesk) - New... more
15 May 2015 State of the Market Report
NZ's growing ICT sector drives rapid economic diversification, Joyce says May 15 (BusinessDesk) - New Zealand's information... more