An Important Stand For Free Expression - London rally 17 Feb 2012
- Seven million KickStart breakfasts served News
- OIO fee hike will lift staff numbers Business
- Bank of NZ bad debt provision jumps 83% Business
- Changes coming to overseas investment regime News
- Turners raises annual earnings guidance Business
- Building Better Homes Science Challenge launched News
- Australia Bank's NZ cash earnings drop 3% on dairy provision Business
- Open Data Showcase demonstrates innovation News
- Trust and confidence in ACC hits new high News
- ‘Pathetic’ report on TPPA shows inquiry needed News
One Law for All held a successful rally in defence of free expression on Saturday 11 February 2012 opposite the Houses of Parliament. Hundreds braved the cold weather to join the rally at Old Palace Yard.
The rally followed several incidents in London recently where freedom of expression was curtailed in favour of fear of causing offence. In one incident, a talk on sharia law by One Law for All’s Anne Marie Waters was cancelled following threats of violence. Rhys Morgan was told by his school to remove a picture of Jesus and Mo from his Facebook page – a picture he had used in solidarity with the University College London Atheist, Secularist and Humanist Society who had been asked by their student union to remove the same image. Both UCL and the London School of Economics have since passed draconian motions which will further restrict religious criticism or satire at their schools.
Speakers at the rally included A C Grayling, Nick Cohen, Caroline Cox, Gita Sahgal, Keith Porteous Wood, and Rhys Morgan.
The event was sponsored by the Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science UK and featured Richard Dawkins who told the crowd to ‘stop being so damn respectful’ and that without freedom of speech, society would be a ‘scientific, technological, moral dark age’.
Maryam Namazie of One Law for All closed the rally by remembering those, around the world, who are fighting for freedom of expression, often at cost of their lives.
You can listen to a podcast of the London rally here: http://poddelusion.co.uk/blog/2012/02/11/rally-to-defend-free-expression-11th-february-2012/ and see videos of the event here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL324F7E92CC808428&feature=view_all. See some photos from the rally here: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/11-february-2012-an-important-stand-for-free-expression/.
Actions to mark the occassion were also held in other cities, including Germany, Portugal and South Africa. Some highlights included a solidarity rally in Warsaw, Poland: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqRBW7zGflk&fb_source=message, a fundraising dinner for One Law for All in Melbourne, Australia and the start of a campaign by Women's Initiative for Citizenship and Universal Rights in France to denounce discrimination faced by women due to the application of unfair laws in France.
The Free Expression Day of Action was endorsed by hundreds of people and organisations: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/endorsements-for-11-february-day-of-action-for-free-expression/.
As a follow up to the day, One Law for All has initiated a campaign in defence of 23 year old writer, Hamza Kashgari, who faces execution in Saudi Arabia for tweeting about Mohammad, Islam's prophet. To support the campaign, click here: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/freedom-for-saudi-writer-hamza-kashgari/.
1. Also see a joint letter to Human Rights Watch on the importance of secularism: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/to-human-rights-watch-separation-of-religion-from-state-is-the-most-basic-guarantee-of-rights/.
2. To donate to the work of One Law for All, please either send a cheque made payable to One Law for All to BM Box 2387, London WC1N 3XX, UK or pay via Paypal: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/donate/. We need regular support and also for supporters to commit to giving at least £5-10 a month via direct debit. You can find out more about how to join the 100Club here: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/donate/.
3. If you shop online, please do so via the Easy Fundraising website: http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/register-supporter/?char=40474. It won’t cost you anything extra but can help raise much needed funds for One Law for All.
(One Law For All - Maryam Namazie)
28 Apr 2016 News
New Zealand Government Hon Amy AdamsMinister for Communications 28 April 2016 More than 200 top business people will join... more
28 Apr 2016 Business News
Article - BusinessDesk Landmark EQC settlement agrees it must repair homes to 'when new' state By Sophie Boot April 28 ... more
4 May 2016 Entertainment
Fresh from their sold-out touring season with the NZ Festival in March 2016, the award-winning Modern Maori Quartet has booked a four... more
25 Apr 2016 ANZAC
You could be forgiven for assuming that the first ever ANZAC Day was commemorated in Australia or New Zealand. In fact, it was on this... more
28 Apr 2016 Property
New Zealand Government Hon Dr Nick Smith Minister for Building and Housing 28 April 2016 Changes to KiwiSaver withdrawal rules... more
27 Apr 2016 Property
Article - BusinessDesk House-sharing offer aims to get Aucklanders on property ladder By Fiona Rotherham April 27 (BusinessDesk) -... more
30 Mar 2016 Migration
British High Commissioner Jonathan Sinclair is defending changes to skilled migrant rules for Britain but suggests they won't affect... more
11 Mar 2016 Travel & Tourism
Article - BusinessDesk Air New Zealand to revenue share with United in NZ-US routes By Paul McBeth March 11 (BusinessDesk) -... more
28 Apr 2016 Rugby League
New Zealand Rugby League Thursday, April 28, 2016Sleepless Nights for Ferns Selectors Akarana second row Annetta Nuuausala is ... more
28 Apr 2016 Sailing
Yachting New Nealand NZL takes early lead in three events at Sailing World Cup Hyeres The NZL Sailing Team has made a strong start... more
28 Apr 2016 Opinion
Gordon Campbell on Trump and the Madman Theory Years ago, Richard Nixon explained to his chief adviser Bob Haldeman what has since... more
27 Apr 2016 Opinion
Gordon Campbell on Kiwirail’s latest stint in the dogbox The denigration of Kiwirail continues. The latest review (based on a ... more
28 Apr 2016 Appointments
University of Otago University of Otago appoints next Dean of Pharmacy A leading researcher from Canada has been appointed as the... more
10 Mar 2016 Recruitment
New Zealand Government Hon Michael Woodhouse Minister for Workplace Relations and Safety 10 March 2016 Zero-hour contracts gone, PPL... more