An Important Stand For Free Expression - London rally 17 Feb 2012
- New initiative to improve overseas driver safety News
- Gordon Campbell on the PM’s TPP concessions on medicines News
- Challenge Wanaka to host Triathlon National Championships Living
- Meeting with US Secretary of State News
- TPPA a low trust model News
- Electricity market more competitive than ever News
- Government drive to lift regulatory quality News
- Gordon Campbell on 90s retro proposals for our health system News
- PM to attend Cook Islands 50th celebrations News
- Colossal Chorale at the Cathedral (Orpheus Choir) Living
One Law for All held a successful rally in defence of free expression on Saturday 11 February 2012 opposite the Houses of Parliament. Hundreds braved the cold weather to join the rally at Old Palace Yard.
The rally followed several incidents in London recently where freedom of expression was curtailed in favour of fear of causing offence. In one incident, a talk on sharia law by One Law for All’s Anne Marie Waters was cancelled following threats of violence. Rhys Morgan was told by his school to remove a picture of Jesus and Mo from his Facebook page – a picture he had used in solidarity with the University College London Atheist, Secularist and Humanist Society who had been asked by their student union to remove the same image. Both UCL and the London School of Economics have since passed draconian motions which will further restrict religious criticism or satire at their schools.
Speakers at the rally included A C Grayling, Nick Cohen, Caroline Cox, Gita Sahgal, Keith Porteous Wood, and Rhys Morgan.
The event was sponsored by the Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science UK and featured Richard Dawkins who told the crowd to ‘stop being so damn respectful’ and that without freedom of speech, society would be a ‘scientific, technological, moral dark age’.
Maryam Namazie of One Law for All closed the rally by remembering those, around the world, who are fighting for freedom of expression, often at cost of their lives.
You can listen to a podcast of the London rally here: http://poddelusion.co.uk/blog/2012/02/11/rally-to-defend-free-expression-11th-february-2012/ and see videos of the event here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL324F7E92CC808428&feature=view_all. See some photos from the rally here: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/11-february-2012-an-important-stand-for-free-expression/.
Actions to mark the occassion were also held in other cities, including Germany, Portugal and South Africa. Some highlights included a solidarity rally in Warsaw, Poland: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqRBW7zGflk&fb_source=message, a fundraising dinner for One Law for All in Melbourne, Australia and the start of a campaign by Women's Initiative for Citizenship and Universal Rights in France to denounce discrimination faced by women due to the application of unfair laws in France.
The Free Expression Day of Action was endorsed by hundreds of people and organisations: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/endorsements-for-11-february-day-of-action-for-free-expression/.
As a follow up to the day, One Law for All has initiated a campaign in defence of 23 year old writer, Hamza Kashgari, who faces execution in Saudi Arabia for tweeting about Mohammad, Islam's prophet. To support the campaign, click here: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/freedom-for-saudi-writer-hamza-kashgari/.
1. Also see a joint letter to Human Rights Watch on the importance of secularism: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/to-human-rights-watch-separation-of-religion-from-state-is-the-most-basic-guarantee-of-rights/.
2. To donate to the work of One Law for All, please either send a cheque made payable to One Law for All to BM Box 2387, London WC1N 3XX, UK or pay via Paypal: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/donate/. We need regular support and also for supporters to commit to giving at least £5-10 a month via direct debit. You can find out more about how to join the 100Club here: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/donate/.
3. If you shop online, please do so via the Easy Fundraising website: http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/register-supporter/?char=40474. It won’t cost you anything extra but can help raise much needed funds for One Law for All.
(One Law For All - Maryam Namazie)
24 Jul 2015 News
New Zealand Government Hon Craig Foss Minister for Small Business 24 July 2015 Small businesses urged to value and protect... more
23 Jul 2015 News
New Zealand Labour Party 23 July 2015MEDIA STATEMENT Labour will not support TPP if it undermines NZ sovereignty The Labour Party... more
24 Jul 2015 Business News
Article - BusinessDesk MARKET CLOSE: NZ shares extend fall on OCR disappointment; Meridian, Genesis drop By Suze ... more
24 Jul 2015 Business News
Article - BusinessDesk New health and safety rules relaxed for small businesses By Pattrick Smellie July 24 (BusinessDesk) -... more
23 Jul 2015 Entertainment
Article - BusinessDesk <3>Film NZ scrapped after review of govt's screen production grant By Suze Metherell July 23... more
16 Jul 2015 Property
Article - BusinessDesk 'Whipsaw' risk for Auckland house prices as Chinese economy slows By Pattrick Smellie July 16 ... more
13 Jul 2015 Property
Article - BusinessDesk Auckland house prices up 26% in June year, buyers looking further afield: REINZ By Tina Morrison July 13 ... more
21 Jul 2015 Migration
NZ net migration reaches new annual record in June, swelled by Indian, Chinese students July 21 (BusinessDesk) - New Zealand... more
23 Jul 2015 Travel & Tourism
Over $6 million from the Future Investment Fund will go towards expanding and modernising SmartGate at our borders to help manage ... more
15 Jul 2015 NZ Tourism
Minister welcomes Tourism Industry Association partnership A new partnership between the Department of Conservation and New ... more
24 Jul 2015 Rugby
James Broadhurst and Lima Sopoaga to make Test debuts ... more
23 Jul 2015 Opinion
The refusal by Minister Sam Lotu-Liga to hold Serco accountable for the company’s failings in prison management is bad... more
21 Jul 2015 Opinion
Gordon Campbell on John Key trying to talk up our - and China’s – ailing economy It wasn’t exactly... more
24 Jul 2015 Appointments
New Zealand Government Hon Christopher Finlayson Attorney-General 24 July 2015 Appointment of Queen’s Counsel Three... more
22 Jul 2015 Appointments
Al Monro replaces Sir Peter Maire on Callaghan Innovation board July 22 (BusinessDesk) - Al Monro has been appointed to the... more
16 Jul 2015 Press Releases
Declan Clancy says economic turmoil unlikely to see Greek workers fleeing to NZ One World Resourcing’s Declan Clancy is not... more
10 Jul 2015 Recruitment
July 10 (BusinessDesk) - Around two-thirds of workers would consider leaving their current job if offered a comparable one with... more