An Important Stand For Free Expression - London rally 17 Feb 2012
- Evidence supports value of internal assessment in schools News
- Importance of gifted education News
- Package of reforms planned for Class 4 gambling News
- LINZ Data Service a resounding success News
- Increased prize pool for expanded SI Endurance Series Living
- Lewis' Career On The Rise Living
- Portfolio Agreements Signed: Next Step In Te Hiku Iwi Accord News
- Govt moves to stamp out organised crime News
- Key Notes: Special video briefing on housing News
- Submission deadline for Constitution Conversation extended News
One Law for All held a successful rally in defence of free expression on Saturday 11 February 2012 opposite the Houses of Parliament. Hundreds braved the cold weather to join the rally at Old Palace Yard.
The rally followed several incidents in London recently where freedom of expression was curtailed in favour of fear of causing offence. In one incident, a talk on sharia law by One Law for All’s Anne Marie Waters was cancelled following threats of violence. Rhys Morgan was told by his school to remove a picture of Jesus and Mo from his Facebook page – a picture he had used in solidarity with the University College London Atheist, Secularist and Humanist Society who had been asked by their student union to remove the same image. Both UCL and the London School of Economics have since passed draconian motions which will further restrict religious criticism or satire at their schools.
Speakers at the rally included A C Grayling, Nick Cohen, Caroline Cox, Gita Sahgal, Keith Porteous Wood, and Rhys Morgan.
The event was sponsored by the Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science UK and featured Richard Dawkins who told the crowd to ‘stop being so damn respectful’ and that without freedom of speech, society would be a ‘scientific, technological, moral dark age’.
Maryam Namazie of One Law for All closed the rally by remembering those, around the world, who are fighting for freedom of expression, often at cost of their lives.
You can listen to a podcast of the London rally here: http://poddelusion.co.uk/blog/2012/02/11/rally-to-defend-free-expression-11th-february-2012/ and see videos of the event here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL324F7E92CC808428&feature=view_all. See some photos from the rally here: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/11-february-2012-an-important-stand-for-free-expression/.
Actions to mark the occassion were also held in other cities, including Germany, Portugal and South Africa. Some highlights included a solidarity rally in Warsaw, Poland: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqRBW7zGflk&fb_source=message, a fundraising dinner for One Law for All in Melbourne, Australia and the start of a campaign by Women's Initiative for Citizenship and Universal Rights in France to denounce discrimination faced by women due to the application of unfair laws in France.
The Free Expression Day of Action was endorsed by hundreds of people and organisations: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/endorsements-for-11-february-day-of-action-for-free-expression/.
As a follow up to the day, One Law for All has initiated a campaign in defence of 23 year old writer, Hamza Kashgari, who faces execution in Saudi Arabia for tweeting about Mohammad, Islam's prophet. To support the campaign, click here: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/freedom-for-saudi-writer-hamza-kashgari/.
1. Also see a joint letter to Human Rights Watch on the importance of secularism: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/to-human-rights-watch-separation-of-religion-from-state-is-the-most-basic-guarantee-of-rights/.
2. To donate to the work of One Law for All, please either send a cheque made payable to One Law for All to BM Box 2387, London WC1N 3XX, UK or pay via Paypal: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/donate/. We need regular support and also for supporters to commit to giving at least £5-10 a month via direct debit. You can find out more about how to join the 100Club here: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/donate/.
3. If you shop online, please do so via the Easy Fundraising website: http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/register-supporter/?char=40474. It won’t cost you anything extra but can help raise much needed funds for One Law for All.
(One Law For All - Maryam Namazie)
18 Jun 2013 Telecommunications
Two Degrees Mobile, which has won about a fifth of the country's mobile phone market, secured a $165 million banking facility with... more
18 Jun 2013 Business News
The New Zealand Bankers' Association expects a legal case claiming the ANZ charged its customers unfair penalty fees will be... more
18 Jun 2013 Food & Wine
Cooking shows cause foodies' demand for expensive produce that can't be grown here Much of the "fresh" fruit and veges in our... more
18 Jun 2013 Lifestyle
A New Zealand author claims in a new book that her grandmother was former British prime minister Benjamin Disraeli's love child,... more
18 Jun 2013 Property
Developers are eying opportunities to build new Auckland hotels, sparked into action by SkyCity's convention centre plans and the ... more
18 Jun 2013 Migration
David Blaker says the predicted 'extra million' residents by 2030 is highly exaggerated. Debate over Auckland's future has presented... more
18 Jun 2013 Migration
Moving to New Zealand means moving to a beautiful country with a wealth of opportunity. New Zealand has 6000 kilometers of coast... more
Travelers Down Under Have More Freedom to Explore the South Pacific with the Air New Zealand Explorer Pass
18 Jun 2013 Travel & Tourism
18 Jun 2013 Rugby
Coach says still room for improvement - even after sublime effort in Christchurch. Dan Carter's return to rugby on Saturday will... more
18 Jun 2013 Football
Sky TV has lost the rights to broadcast English Premier League football in New Zealand next season. Sky insisted it did all it could... more
14 Jun 2013 Opinion
Column - Gordon Campbell Gordon Campbell on why everyone has a stake in surveillance reduction In a week dominated by... more
12 Jun 2013 Column
Before I became Editor for NZNewsUK, I had the fantastic opportunity as the Location Coordinator for the Hollywood Blockbuster movie,... more
16 Jun 2013 People
The composer who wrote music for the royal wedding has written a lullaby for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's baby, to be sung by... more
14 Jun 2013 Recruitment
Employers wanting to hire only "beautiful" people can now advertise to a select group on an internet network that excludes less... more