An Important Stand For Free Expression - London rally 17 Feb 2012
- Time-Out News
- Bid to pardon gay men convicted under anti-gay laws News
- Former Racehorse Comes Good to Take Opening World Cup Round Living
- Guy removes Fonterra raw milk access requirements Business
- Centre faces closure due to Ministry bungling News
- Guy removes Fonterra raw milk access requirements Business
- New plan to tackle invasive weed in Lake Karapiro News
- Chinese crackdown on foreign gambling will hurt revenue Business
- Changes to DIRA announced News
- Fonterra farmer directors retire Business
One Law for All held a successful rally in defence of free expression on Saturday 11 February 2012 opposite the Houses of Parliament. Hundreds braved the cold weather to join the rally at Old Palace Yard.
The rally followed several incidents in London recently where freedom of expression was curtailed in favour of fear of causing offence. In one incident, a talk on sharia law by One Law for All’s Anne Marie Waters was cancelled following threats of violence. Rhys Morgan was told by his school to remove a picture of Jesus and Mo from his Facebook page – a picture he had used in solidarity with the University College London Atheist, Secularist and Humanist Society who had been asked by their student union to remove the same image. Both UCL and the London School of Economics have since passed draconian motions which will further restrict religious criticism or satire at their schools.
Speakers at the rally included A C Grayling, Nick Cohen, Caroline Cox, Gita Sahgal, Keith Porteous Wood, and Rhys Morgan.
The event was sponsored by the Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science UK and featured Richard Dawkins who told the crowd to ‘stop being so damn respectful’ and that without freedom of speech, society would be a ‘scientific, technological, moral dark age’.
Maryam Namazie of One Law for All closed the rally by remembering those, around the world, who are fighting for freedom of expression, often at cost of their lives.
You can listen to a podcast of the London rally here: http://poddelusion.co.uk/blog/2012/02/11/rally-to-defend-free-expression-11th-february-2012/ and see videos of the event here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL324F7E92CC808428&feature=view_all. See some photos from the rally here: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/11-february-2012-an-important-stand-for-free-expression/.
Actions to mark the occassion were also held in other cities, including Germany, Portugal and South Africa. Some highlights included a solidarity rally in Warsaw, Poland: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqRBW7zGflk&fb_source=message, a fundraising dinner for One Law for All in Melbourne, Australia and the start of a campaign by Women's Initiative for Citizenship and Universal Rights in France to denounce discrimination faced by women due to the application of unfair laws in France.
The Free Expression Day of Action was endorsed by hundreds of people and organisations: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/endorsements-for-11-february-day-of-action-for-free-expression/.
As a follow up to the day, One Law for All has initiated a campaign in defence of 23 year old writer, Hamza Kashgari, who faces execution in Saudi Arabia for tweeting about Mohammad, Islam's prophet. To support the campaign, click here: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/freedom-for-saudi-writer-hamza-kashgari/.
1. Also see a joint letter to Human Rights Watch on the importance of secularism: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/to-human-rights-watch-separation-of-religion-from-state-is-the-most-basic-guarantee-of-rights/.
2. To donate to the work of One Law for All, please either send a cheque made payable to One Law for All to BM Box 2387, London WC1N 3XX, UK or pay via Paypal: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/donate/. We need regular support and also for supporters to commit to giving at least £5-10 a month via direct debit. You can find out more about how to join the 100Club here: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/donate/.
3. If you shop online, please do so via the Easy Fundraising website: http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/register-supporter/?char=40474. It won’t cost you anything extra but can help raise much needed funds for One Law for All.
(One Law For All - Maryam Namazie)
12 Oct 2016 News
New Zealand Government Hon Anne TolleyMinister for Social Development 12 October 2016 $4.2 million Community Finance boost to... more
18 Oct 2016 Business News
Article - BusinessDesk Tuesday 18 October 2016 11:00 AM NZ inflation slows to 0.2% pace in third quarter, beating estimates, as... more
18 Oct 2016 Lifestyle
818 Entertainment KIWIS GET FIRST PEEK AT THE ALL NEW BLONDINI GANG WITH RELEASE OF OFFICIAL PORK PIE TRAILER more
12 Oct 2016 Lifestyle
NZSO 12 October 2016 - NZSO media release for immediate release NZSO welcomes Dutch piano virtuoso Ronald Brautigam to NZ The NZSO... more
12 Oct 2016 Property
Article - BusinessDesk Wednesday 12 October 2016 08:19 AM Auckland development blowouts reminiscent of run up to GFC: KPMG's ... more
3 Aug 2016 Property
Wednesday 03 August 2016 10:30 AM Auckland house prices are stabilising, may have plateaued, Barfoot says Aug. 3 (BusinessDesk) -... more
11 Oct 2016 Migration
Article - BusinessDesk Tuesday 11 October 2016 03:13 PM UPDATE: Immigration policy tweaks capture senior executive migrants (Recasts ... more
12 Oct 2016 Travel & Tourism
Article - BusinessDesk Wednesday 12 October 2016 05:25 PM Air NZ sells remaining stake in Virgin Australia Oct. 12 (BusinessDesk) -... more
12 Oct 2016 NZ Tourism
12 October 2016 International visitor guest nights have risen by more than 13 per cent, and eleven of our twelve... more
19 Oct 2016 Equestrian
Equestrian Sports New Zealand Paget Returning to NZ to Coach and Compete World-class eventer Jock Paget is taking his career to... more
18 Oct 2016 Sailing
Emirates Team New Zealand Steinlager Back Onboard with Emirates Team New Zealand It’s black to the future as Steinlager return... more
18 Oct 2016 Opinion
Column - Gordon Campbell Gordon Campbell on plastic bag activism, and street harassment
11 Oct 2016 Opinion
Gordon Campbell on how the political centre is a mirage First published on Werewolf more
18 Oct 2016 Appointments
New Zealand Government Hon Dr Nick SmithMinister for the EnvironmentHon Louise UpstonAssociate Minister of Local Government 18... more
19 Oct 2016 Recruitment
Article - BusinessDesk Wednesday 19 October 2016 09:09 AM AWF Madison buys Absolute IT for $15.3mn, expanding further into white... more