An Important Stand For Free Expression - London rally 17 Feb 2012
- First NZ job fairs in November News
- Annual Report shows ACC on right track News
- Gordon Campbell on Pharmac, Gough Whitlam and Sleater-Kinney News
- Gallipoli 2015 deadline approaches News
- Prisons safety to be boosted with on-body cameras News
- Shane Jones Nauru, Mauritius, Seychelles High Commissioner News
- Turei: Address in reply speech, 21 October 2014 News
- Commonwealth Silver Medallist at NZ's Largest Cycling Event Living
- Small increase in visitor arrivals Business
- Gordon Campbell on the latest TPP leaks News
One Law for All held a successful rally in defence of free expression on Saturday 11 February 2012 opposite the Houses of Parliament. Hundreds braved the cold weather to join the rally at Old Palace Yard.
The rally followed several incidents in London recently where freedom of expression was curtailed in favour of fear of causing offence. In one incident, a talk on sharia law by One Law for All’s Anne Marie Waters was cancelled following threats of violence. Rhys Morgan was told by his school to remove a picture of Jesus and Mo from his Facebook page – a picture he had used in solidarity with the University College London Atheist, Secularist and Humanist Society who had been asked by their student union to remove the same image. Both UCL and the London School of Economics have since passed draconian motions which will further restrict religious criticism or satire at their schools.
Speakers at the rally included A C Grayling, Nick Cohen, Caroline Cox, Gita Sahgal, Keith Porteous Wood, and Rhys Morgan.
The event was sponsored by the Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science UK and featured Richard Dawkins who told the crowd to ‘stop being so damn respectful’ and that without freedom of speech, society would be a ‘scientific, technological, moral dark age’.
Maryam Namazie of One Law for All closed the rally by remembering those, around the world, who are fighting for freedom of expression, often at cost of their lives.
You can listen to a podcast of the London rally here: http://poddelusion.co.uk/blog/2012/02/11/rally-to-defend-free-expression-11th-february-2012/ and see videos of the event here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL324F7E92CC808428&feature=view_all. See some photos from the rally here: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/11-february-2012-an-important-stand-for-free-expression/.
Actions to mark the occassion were also held in other cities, including Germany, Portugal and South Africa. Some highlights included a solidarity rally in Warsaw, Poland: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqRBW7zGflk&fb_source=message, a fundraising dinner for One Law for All in Melbourne, Australia and the start of a campaign by Women's Initiative for Citizenship and Universal Rights in France to denounce discrimination faced by women due to the application of unfair laws in France.
The Free Expression Day of Action was endorsed by hundreds of people and organisations: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/endorsements-for-11-february-day-of-action-for-free-expression/.
As a follow up to the day, One Law for All has initiated a campaign in defence of 23 year old writer, Hamza Kashgari, who faces execution in Saudi Arabia for tweeting about Mohammad, Islam's prophet. To support the campaign, click here: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/freedom-for-saudi-writer-hamza-kashgari/.
1. Also see a joint letter to Human Rights Watch on the importance of secularism: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/to-human-rights-watch-separation-of-religion-from-state-is-the-most-basic-guarantee-of-rights/.
2. To donate to the work of One Law for All, please either send a cheque made payable to One Law for All to BM Box 2387, London WC1N 3XX, UK or pay via Paypal: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/donate/. We need regular support and also for supporters to commit to giving at least £5-10 a month via direct debit. You can find out more about how to join the 100Club here: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/donate/.
3. If you shop online, please do so via the Easy Fundraising website: http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/register-supporter/?char=40474. It won’t cost you anything extra but can help raise much needed funds for One Law for All.
(One Law For All - Maryam Namazie)
19 Oct 2014 Politics
New Zealand Labour Party Labour Names Review Team Labour’s New Zealand Council has appointed Bryan Gould as Convenor of its ... more
18 Oct 2014 News
The Nation Lisa Owen interviews RSA President BJ Clark and tech innovator Ian Taylor about changing the NZ flag Lisa Owen: Welcome... more
17 Oct 2014 Business News
Oct. 17 (BusinessDesk) - New Zealand needs to lift its retirement age and take advantage of an adaptable workforce before it gets... more
20 Oct 2014 ANZAC
On Thursday 16 October, the NZ-UK Link Foundation held their Inaugural Annual Lecture at the University of London’s Senate... more
16 Oct 2014 Food & Wine
New Zealand’s organic wine industry has scored a major export victory with the announcement that the European Commission... more
15 Oct 2014 Property
The Resource Management Act needs to explicitly recognise the importance of New Zealanders’ access to more affordable housing... more
30 Sep 2014 Migration
There are thousands of expats living in the UK who are aiming for permanent residency status and, eventually, a British passport. But... more
10 Oct 2014 Travel & Tourism
By Paul McBeth Oct. 10 (BusinessDesk) - New Zealand guest nights were largely flat in August from a month earlier as a gain... more
19 Oct 2014 Sport
New Master Woolhandler Joel Henare continued an unbeaten start to the new shearing sports season with a triumphant homecoming in ... more
16 Oct 2014 Opinion
Gordon Campbell on New Zealand getting involved (again) in other peoples wars Apparently, the Key government is still... more
15 Oct 2014 Opinion
The politicisation of (a) the public service and (b) the operations of the Official Information Act have been highlighted by the ... more
17 Oct 2014 Appointments
Institute Of Directors Local businessman Brian Corban was made a Distinguished Fellow of the Institute of Directors yesterday, in a... more
13 Oct 2014 Appointments
Article - BusinessDesk Kiwi Income Property reshuffles executive positions By Suze Metherell Oct. 13 (BusinessDesk) - Kiwi... more
9 Oct 2014 Recruitment
Te Runanga o Ngati Awa is widening its scope in the hunt for directors for the Whakatane based iwi authority’s commercial arm... more